by Daniel Macaulay
Thanks to the Revd Andrew Reed, a Congregational Minister, the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability (RHN) has been transforming lives since 1854. Nearly 1.4m people with brain injuries are admitted into A&E every year and the RHN provides rehabilitation and long-term care for some of them.
Known as one of the great philanthropists of the 19th century, the minister established The Hospital for Incurables in Carshalton, Surrey in 1854. In 1863 the hospital found its permanent home – Melrose Hall, on West Hill, Putney and its name was changed to the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability in 1995.